January 23 is National Pie Day – not to be confused with Pi Day which is in March. This day has nothing to do with a continuous number that goes into infinity and everything to do with a continuous deliciousness that goes into infinity!
As a way to celebrate this day and to help you get to know your NSPN family, we’ve asked NSPN staff members the following question:
“What is your favorite pie (and why – if there is a specific reason you’d like to share)?”
- Laurie Jackson, President / CEO: Cherry
- Tammy Hopper, Chief Strategic Initiatives Officer: My grandmother’s chocolate pie – There isn’t one thing about it that was good for me except that it always made me feel better. Love is always the most important ingredient.
- Shauna Brooks, Principal Investigator: Hot apple pie with streusel crumble and vanilla ice cream
- Katie Carter, Director of Research, Education & Public Policy: I’m really an equal opportunist when it comes to pie, though I tend to lean more toward fruit and chocolate-nut pies instead of creamy or meringue pies.
- April Carthorn, General Specialist: It was hard work as a child cracking bags and bags of pecans. Our hands would sometimes bleed but there was no stopping us because we knew that the sweet, gooey pecan pie would soon sooth any bleeding hands and messes to clean up; it would make the tummy very happy.
- Sherry Casey, Operations & Administrative Manager: Pecan or buttermilk
- Lindsey Collier, Human Trafficking Specialist: Cherry pie is my favorite! My grandmother always made it and it is the first pie she taught me how to bake. When I eat cherry pie, I always think of her.
- Zach Elmore, Operations Specialist: Pumpkin pie – It reminds me of Thanksgiving and family.
- Kim Frierson, Training Specialist: Apple (double crust if that’s an option) or the Chess pie from Homemade Pie & Ice Cream Kitchen.
- Susan Harmon, Director of Safe Place National Operations: Either coconut custard (my mother used to fix it) or Dutch Apple with caramel icing (just because I like it).
- Rachel Hurst, Development Associate: My favorite pie is none. Why would you have pie when you can have cake?
- Hillary Ladig, Communications Coordinator: Fudge pie from The Fresh Market
- Elizabeth Smith Miller, Director of Marketing & Events: My favorite pie is sweet potato pie, but not just any sweet potato pie! It MUST be from Mothers in New Orleans, LA. Mothers has the best sweet potato pie in the world. If I can’t get sweet potato pie from Mothers, I tend to lean towards custard and meringue pies, but not lemon or key lime – I’m allergic to lemons, limes, kiwis, oranges, and pineapple.
- Eric Tadatada, Technical Assistance Specialist: Apple pie
Feel free to leave a comment below and let us know your favorite pie!